How to Speed Up Web Page Downloads?
- Lay out your pages not with tables but with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
CSS downloads much faster than tables because of the following reasons
- The browsers read through tables two times before presenting their contents, the first one to work out their structure and the second one to define their content.
- Tables are displayed on the screen all at once - no portion of the table will be displayed until the whole table is downloaded and delivered.
- Tables use spacer images to help with the positioning.
- CSS in general needs less code than the tables.
- All code that has something to do with the layout can be positioned in an external CSS document, which will be called up only one time and then saved on the computer of the user. Table layout, saved in every HTML document, must be loaded up every time another page downloads.
- With CSS you can organize the arrangement of the items downloaded onto the screen. Make the content display before slow-loading pictures and your web site users will certainly be grateful for it.
It is our old pal CSS to the rescue once again. There is no need to make use of the images to show the text because many can be done with the use of the CSS.
It is possible to display images as part of the background, called up via CSS.
This second CSS sample states that each paragraph within class="text" should be designated with a font size of 2em and a color value of #03c.
At initial glimpse, this does not appear too relevant, but if you can integrate this correctly all through your document, you can simply knock off 20 per cent of the file size.
You may have perceived the color values are shorter than standard. 03c is a reduced version of 0033cc - you can designate this abbreviated value to any color value like this.
You can utilize the shorthand properties for the margin CSS command.
Each of the letter or space in your HTML code consumes a single byte. It does not sound like a lot but it all adds up. It is found that by working through your page source and removing all useless white space and comments, you can cut 10 per cent of its file capacity.
Try to prevent complete call ups as they consume more space.
The majority of the META tags are quite unnecessary and do not acquire a lot. If you are interested, you can view META tags lists that are accessible. The most relevant tags for search engine optimization are the description and keyword tags, but because of the mass abuse they have lost relevancy in recent times. When utilizing these META tags try to keep the content under 200 characters.